Friday 20 September 2013

Minions oh minions! FREE PATTERN!

Who loves these little guys as much as I do? Well, if you are blessed enough to have four little ones who LOVE are obsessed with these movies, then you would know what it is like to hear one liners from Despicable Me all day long!
I never quite realized how funny these movies are until we were on holidays this summer. Usually if the kids are watching a movie I am frantically trying to use up the 90 minutes to finish some housework, blog, or chat with a good friend on the phone. Or just sit and veg without really paying attention to much. After all how many precious, quiet moments does a stay at home mom get during the day? Anyway, being stuck in the vehicle on a several hour drive, we had this movie playing on the laptop and, to my surprise, I was actually listening to it, and enjoying it. I must say it is quite funny.
I can see why my kids have taken such a liking to these little guys, they really are quite endearing!




So of course, inspired by my kids, (and a few pins on pinterest) I decided to come up with a hat and pattern for the minion. Without further adieu here it is:

H hook
worsted weight yarn in school bus yellow (I use bernat)
this pattern will fit a newborn baby

1) with yellow start with magic ring

2) ch 2 (counts as dc) in magic ring, 11 more dc in magic ring. join to top of ch 2. (12 stitches. )

3) ch 2. Dc in same  st. 2 dc in each st around. Join to top of ch2. (24 stitches)

4)ch2. dc in same st.  1 dc in next st. {2 dc in next st. 1 dc in next st.} repeat all the way around join to top of ch 2. (36 stitches)

5) ch 2. dc in same st. 1 dc in next 2 sts. {2 dc in next st. 1 dc in next st. 1 dc in next st.} Repeat around  and join round to top of ch 2. (48 st.)

6) ch 2. dc in same st. dc in each stitch around and join black yarn to top of ch 2.

7)repeat round 6 two times with the black yarn, change color back to yellow.


8) repeat round 6, 4 times with yellow yarn. 

9) sc around bottom of hat. Fasten off, or use invisible knot.

For the girly version, I did a row of pink sc around the bottom of the hat. You could also do a row of blue and add earflaps if you wish. Check out the sock monkey pattern on how to do that.


EYE

Make one or two, depending on which minion you would like.

Using black
1) starting with a magic ring ch2. hdc 9 stitches in round and join to top of ch 2. pull magic ring closed. 

2)  attach brown yarn 2 sc in each st around. join (18 dc)

3) with white {2 hdc in first st, 1 hdc in next st} repeat all the way around, join. (27hdc)  Before breaking yarn, sew a little 'gleam' with the white yarn onto the black part of the eye (pupil) It gives the eye so much more life. Just make sure they are both the same if you are doing the two eyed version.

4) attach grey yarn, sl st all the way around the eye to make the 'rim' if the goggles.  Fasten off leaving long tail for sewing on eye(s).

Sew eyes onto hat. Make sure to position them straight on the goggle band. I find that pinning them in place helps.

MOUTH

Using black yarn and a needle stitch on the mouth. I found it helpful to actually google some pictures of these guys and see all the expressions they have. Then just copy the one that you want! Try adding a red tongue, or teeth if you want. 






HAIR
add strands of hair as desired. I would also suggest google-ing this to give you some ideas on the different hairstyles these guys have.

I found a bow pattern here.


I hope you have fun with this pattern! If you would like to purchase a pre made hat, please visit us on facebook at Knotty Knotty crochet
For a list of crochet stitches and how to make them go here.

**You may use this pattern to sell items, but I request that a link or credit be given back to this site** This is a ©2013 Knotty Knotty Crochet pattern, and may not under any circumstances be sold in whole or in part. Duplication is by written permission only. 
All photos on this blog are ©Knotty Knotty Crochet and MAY NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be used to sell your items.




14 comments:

  1. I hate to ask but what color pink did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I was wondering how you got the hair and the bow to stand up and how you attached the bow to the hair.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I crochet mine (it makes them thicker and stronger) and sew each strand through the hat so that each end sticks up and sew them in place at the middle of the strand to the hat, so it will be one strand at a time or you could sew a bunch of non crochet black wool strands through the hat placing them together and tie with a knot at the bottom and cut through the tops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, not sure if my last message worked as I can't see it. Would these hats work in 8 ply or 12 ply?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a hat larger than for a newborn. Can you tell me the gauge, or # of stitches to add per inch of head circumference? I have 4 granddaughters, all under age 8, and they all want a Minion hat. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a hat larger than for a newborn. Can you tell me the gauge, or # of stitches to add per inch of head circumference? I have 4 granddaughters, all under age 8, and they all want a Minion hat. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can I print this page so I can crochet w/o having to drag my computer in order to crochet. My g.children are gonna LOVE these hats

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the eye, round 2 says "attach brown yarn 2 sc in each st around. join (18 dc)"
    Is it single crochet in each stitch around, or is it double crochet in each stitch around???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love this project! Am down to the final steps and have a few questions about the hair and bow:
    1. How many stands and how long?
    2. How to attach the "hair" to the beanie?
    3. How to attach the bow to the hair?
    Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I just add hair until I think it looks good. I use two strands and pull a loop through, then pul the ends through. I suppose they would come off if you pulled hard enough, but my kids have never pulled theirs out so I figure it was good enough. As far as length goes, I pull through all the hairs, then give the little gaffer a haircut so they are all the same length. for the bow, i leave two long strands that I tie tightly around the hair for the girls version of the hat. Again, it may not be totally secure, but if my kids can't wreck it then my guess is that others will be fine too :) Happy Crocheting.

      Delete
  10. Positive onion oil is , Onion Hair Growth oil is power packed with nutrients like sulfur, amino acids , fatty acids which are hair’s best friend. On regular usage of this oil, hair receives all vital nutrients needed to boost their life cycle and may encourage Hair Growth , Buy onion oil for hair growth .

    ReplyDelete

Little flying ace hat, scarf and boot FREE PATTERN!

 I have been wanting to do this little set for a while, and was thrilled when a friend ordered it for her new grand-baby. I can't wait...